Wednesday 4 November 2009

Who owns user data?

I have been involved several times on discussions around user data ownership. With the advent of cloud computing, though, some of the topics identified may take another shape and service/application providers may have a chance to fully leverage the capabilities exposed by cloud computing.

A bit of context first. If I subscribe to a service on the web, whatever it's nature is (Facebook, Twitter, you name it!), I generate data about me that the service stores, on my behalf, in it's premises. Examples are username, contact details, preferences, tags, ...
If for whatever reason I want to access such data, I typically can only do it via the user interface that the service provides. In any case I never - it seems to me - have access to the raw data; let alone being able to use some other access interface.

But think if such data is stored on the Cloud on an Amazon S3 bucket (or equivalent), which offers an easy to access interface over HTTP, user ownership, Access Control Policies and the possibility of managing such data via the plethora of applications part of the Amazon ecosystem. In such case I - the user - have access to the "master copy" of my data and I can do whatever I want with it (such as delete it, modify it, make it more or less public).

Clearly there are drawbacks:

  1. it requires the service provider to implement and manage the mapping of it's internal user representation with that of Amazon (or whatever other cloud storage provider)

  2. the a service provider looses the ability to control the stuctural consistency of the data. And this can cause the application to malfunction.

  3. the service provider looses the possibility to hide such data from other service providers/application and consequently looses the power to forcibly keep the user using its servie (well, at least it doesn't facilitate it)


Point 1 is in reality a "non" issue from an implementation perspective. And it will be easily solved via agreements between the two interested parties. Agreements, moreover, are facilitated by the adoption of standard formats as and when appropriate.

Point 2 is the most interesting as it involves a different thinking on architecting applications (I refer here to the seven points illustrated here by Simone Brunozzi, that I discussed here): architect for failure (in this case data structures), loose couple application logic and data and so on.

Point 3 is probably the hardest to implement, not certainly because of technical issues. But this seems to me a false problem anyway as if the service offered degrades users will go away no matter what.

I want to see people making use of what the cloud brings to the table on top "glorified web hosting" or grid computing. So maybe this is a valid "use case" that will stimulate developers and architects to think more out of the box.

No comments: